Gluten Free Egg RollsOn March 27, 2021 by Pam
- 1½ cups cornstarch, potato starch, or tapioca flour
- 1½ cups brown or white rice flour or gluten free oat flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- Stir together the starch, rice flour, salt, and xanthan gum.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and water together until combined.
- Add the eggs/water to the flour mixture. Stir well until mixture comes together to form a ball (if you keep stirring and stirring but the mix won’t come together, you may need a tad more water).
- Sprinkle your work surface lightly with cornstarch, potato starch, or tapioca starch/flour (they are the same thing).
- Put about ⅓ of the dough on your work surface and roll it out as thin as you can get it. Coat lightly with cornstarch, then put a sheet of plastic wrap on top of the dough to keep the dough from sticking to your rolling pin. Whenever the dough seems a bit sticky on top, sprinkle on some cornstarch to keep it from sticking to the plastic wrap.
- Cut the rolled out dough into squares about 6×6 inches.
- Lift squares up with a spatula and transfer to a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper on it. If you have trouble lifting the squares and they stick to the table, you probably did not have enough corstnarch on your work surface. Just ball the dough back up again, sprinkle more starch onto work surface, and start over. Overworking the dough can toughen it a bit, but it’ll still be fine if you have to roll it out again.
- Cover the finished squares with a lightly damp cloth until use to keep them from drying out. Store this way for only 1 hour or so…more than that, and the wrappers will dry out.
- When ready to use, add filling to center. Fold one corner over filling, then fold the two corners that are next to the first corner across the filling. Finally, roll or fold towards the other corner and press gently to seal. Transfer to hot oil and fry until golden brown!
1 clove of garlic minced
1 inch of ginger, minced
2 shredded carrots
1/2 shredded cabbage (red or green or napa)
1/2 cup of bean sprouts
3 ounces of chopped mushroooms
3 chopped green onions
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute, add the bean sprouts and green onions and saute 2 more minutes, add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cabbage and cook until the cabbage is reduced by half. Add the sesame oil. Mix the cornstarch in the soy sauce. Pour over the filling and cook until it thickens and a coating forms on the filling. Cool completely before adding to the wrappers.