TEN AMAZING BENEFITS OF WALKINGOn August 24, 2021 by Pam
A few years ago, I suffered a very traumatic event. I started walking – 20,000 steps a day – I did this for about a year. I still walk but, I also do strength training and low impact cardio but, I will never abandon walking. Walking saved my mental health – being outside, in nature so, when I researched the benefits of walking, here is what I found. This is a combination of various sources – plus my own experience with walking as a life-changing experience.
- Walking sharpens your brain. There are even studies that show that walking backwards improves your cognition.
- It strengthens your bones. As we get older, we need strong bones. We also need to check out bone density – especially women.
- It boosts your mood – especially walking outside in nature – for me, it is a source of meditation.
- It enhances your circulation. I KNOW that walking lowered my blood pressure. It works even if you just walk briskly for 30 minutes per day.
- It reduces your risk for tripped and falling. Walking helps build your balance because it makes your shin muscles stronger and prevents shuffling as we get older.
- It actually bolsters your memory – your hippocampus where your verbal memory and learning happen.
- It helps with pain – because walking is moderate and low impact it actually supports arthritis and other pain-inducing chronic illnesses. When you move, you stretch and this helps your muscles.
- It improves blood glucose levels – especially after a meal. You know when you feel so full you can’t move – food coma? Well, move anyway – it is so healthy to take a brief walk after a big meal.
- It raises your immunity because people who walk regularly maintain a healthier weight – as long as you combine it with healthy eating – and this reduces your risk for disease.
- Walking, especially outside – even in cold weather – helps you sleep better. Buy good shows or even ice attachments for your shoes and boots and keep walking in all seasons and all kinds of weather.