A Homemade Neighbourly ChristmasOn November 8, 2023 by Pam
Do you have friends and neighbours that you want to honour at Christmas? Do you want to give something that is meaningful without breaking the bank? I thought that I would give you some ideas that won’t take you a lot of time but, will bring a smile to the faces of those in your circle. The first thing that I do, is head to the dollar store to pick up some baskets. I am giving you my TOP TEN ideas to fill these baskets.
- Crocheting a dishcloth is VERY easy. You don’t have to do any fancy stitches. Grab some cotton yarn and make a square with either single or double crochet. You can also find a lot of different patterns under “Crochet” on my blog at www.noroom4phonies.com
- Buy a few jars and make some cranberry relish – it always goes well on Christmas dinner and it is easy to make. https://brooklynsupper.com/cranberry-apple-chutney/
- A simple box of sugar cookies or gingerbread men or a loaf of cranberry orange loaf always is appreciated. I have lots of Christmas baking recipes on my blog.
- There are lots and lots of ideas for “Soup in a Mason Jar” on
- Give your neighbours with a family a movie night….popcorn, chips, chocolate and other snacks along with some homemade rice krispie squares cut in Holiday Shapes and iced.
- Make some chocolates – they are super easy to make – you can find chocolate forms on Amazon and chocolate for moulding at Michael’s or Bulk Barn – lots of fun to make and everyone loves a chocolate
- Visit a used book store and find books that suit the personalities of your friends or neighbours – a gardening book for the avid gardener, a book about horses for a little girl with an interest in riding…promote reading and support a local used bookstore and recycle!
- Invite your neighbours for a “Game Night” and serve pizza and wings. Set a date for after the Holidays and connect and have some fun!
- Make some vanilla. You can order vanilla beans on Amazon – buy some rubber topped jars at the Dollar Store – you put 5 vanilla beans in a jar and fill it with vodka (and 1 1/2 cups). You need to put the jars in a dark place to cure for a couple of months.
- You can also do this with olive oil by creating some diffused oil. Buy some corked jars at the Dollar Store add lemon, chili flakes, rosemary or garlic and then olive oil.
You can also offer babysitting or yard work or gardening or cleaning to support your neighbours and friends. Be creative but, take the time to recognize those in your circle this Christmas.